Log 007 - Molting
I did mention I got 2 blue legged hermit crabs now? One was named Rodney, he seems to be most active. One morning I saw him on top of the rock eating but in a spot that seemed like it could be some kind of challenge. This same day, I returned home from work to find a molted crab carcass. I got worried as I did not know this at the time. I had only assumed the worst - that he got stuck and abandoned the shell then died. I did nothing at first, posted a pic onto a local reefing group and was met with a few responses that he most likely molted and will be back to normal in a few days.
While waiting for the response noted above I moved the shell back to the sand from the rock and I moved the lifeless carcass nearby my biggest ricordea. And also to my surprise the ricordea grabbed it. Within 4 hours the whole molted body was ingulfed. Big meal.
And yes, since the hours have past, the hermit crab started crawling again.
Comments
Post a Comment